Saturday, September 4, 2010

doesn't matter...as long as it's chill :)

Today was alot of fun. We had english at the house for 2 hours from 11-1. We talked about 2 readings that we had read prior. The readings were written by 2 very controversial philosophers Singer and Hardin. Singer arugues that everyone should donate as much as they can to the poor, and that money used to go out to dinner and buy a new tv is essentially killing a child because that money could be going to them. Hardin argues that we really shouldn't give to the poor, something that I don't agree with. The readings go into a lot more detail than this, what I'm saying about it is just very basic. We debated the readings in class, and Noah, director of SEGL and our english teacher, enjoyed playing devil's advocate. He had said to me something like, "When was the last time you went to Starbucks?" I replied by saying a few days ago and he answered "that money could have gone to saving a child's life, it can add up. To save a child's life, are you going to give up starbucks?" Or something along those lines. I thought about it and I'm not going to give up starbucks or things like that because I think giving up things and donating should be in moderation. It's just not practical that everyone's going to give up some type of things, though morally maybe we should.
      We then went to Eastern Market, a little walk from us. It's kind of a flea market/farmer's market with cool stuff. I got a ying/yang necklace which I felt good about buying because it was supporting a local woman. And there were red velvet cupcakes there which are my favorite! :) We came back and Noah cooked our dinner which was really good. Surprisingly enough, I've been eating a lot of tofu and vegetables and healthy stuff here! I've even been exercising! I know this may come as a big shocker to people who know me but....believe it :).
    For our Saturday night activity, which students plan during the week, we did a night tour of DC's monuments. It was so cool and the monuments and memorials were beautiful, and it's so cool that we can walk to all of them! (but not without some sore legs). We went to the Washington Memorial, WW2 Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Korean War memorial, a small local WW1 Memorial etc. We left at 8:30pm (ish) and roughly came back at 12:30am, just to give you an estimate. It was a ton of walking (and running!) and now my legs and feet are suffering the consequences...but it was worth it. I'm looking forward to just chilling tomorrow :)

I'm working on putting up videos but the site's givin me issues so bare with me :)


ARTSINESS AT THE FLEA MARKET :) :



CAPITOL HILL:



IN THE HOUSE:

2 comments:

  1. You have guite a gift for blogging - very information and funny at the same time. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiiii! i'm lesley and i'm the blogger from last semester. and i am so jealous that you are at segl now! i'm sure you are having the time of your life! and your blog is awesome. keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete