Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tom Adkins and our Non-Profits!

Our non-profits are coming along now...phew! Most of us have a pretty good idea of what we're doing. I think I'm personally pretty set for what I want to do, I just need to work out some logistics.

Preview of my non-profit (DA DA DAAAAAA):
It will be called Activism Consulting for Teens (ACT) and like the name implies, it will consult and mentor teens throughout Massachusetts on how to effectively support causes they care about. 
   But that's just part of it.....There's still more to come... !

Today Tom Adkins, Social Entrepreneur and founder of Open Organizer, which helps non-profits with technological things, came in to talk to us!

He talked to us his experience with non-profits and about what we need for our non-profits. He specifically talked alot about asking for help. He said that asking for help is crucial in creating and sustaining a successful Non-Profit Organization. He talked about the type of people we want to reach out to, such as the obvious family, friends, and mentors, but also people like key strategic supporters, fundraisers, and media personality. What he said really makes sense and I feel like it will really help me during the process of making my non-profit.

Alot of what he said seemed very familiar to me because I've worked with non-profits for a while, but having what they do kind of spelled out was really interesting to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment